GET THE NEWSLETTER

HERO IMAGE

HERO IMAGE
If I had a dollar for every time I've updated this text in the last few years, we would have been able to pay off our debt a lot faster! So here is the lowdown: I just love to share parts of my life on the blog, especially experiences that might help others live a better life! Welcome to my little home on the internet!

Read more about me here!

Five Day Money Makeover Challenge

Are you ready to give your finances a total makeover? Download my Five Day Money Makeover Challenge!

Download your Challenge Here!

dinner & portmanteau words

{happy first blogiversary to me!}



welcome back to the celebration of my blogiversary! i am so excited to have been blogging for an entire year. i can't believe it has been 365 days already.


i am celebrating with a weekend of fun - stay tuned to see how you can get in on the action!


click {here} read all about my first year of blogging!
click {here} to enter my shaklee basic H2 giveaway!
click {here} to enter my wonderfully wordy giveaway!
sorry you missed it - the giveaways are closed!

******************************************************
today i want to share one of mine and my husband's favorite recipes!

portmanteau word  (n.) a word derived by combining portions of two or more separate words

examples:
magalog = magazine + catalog
pixel = picture + element
fantabulous = fantastic + fabulous
tacolache = taco + kolache

wait - what is that last one again? tacolache??

hang on! before your head starts spinning let me explain what it is!

a tacolache (taco la cheee) is a combination taco & kolache. a spicy mexican hand-held masterpiece combined with a flaky, cheesy, warm breakfast item stuffed with meat.

stay with me now...

this is one of those meals i came up with when we were running dangerously low on food and grocery funds and i examined my pantry and fridge with a skeptical eye. after passing over the cans of veg-all (seriously what was i thinking?), tuna and diced potatoes, the packets of onion soup mix and leftover chicken parmesan this is the only thing i could come up with.

and by golly it was a winner! so here is how you make it!

to a pound of browned hamburger meat i added salt, pepper, ground coriander, a little garlic powder and taco seasoning and 3/4 cup of water. cook about 10 minutes over low and then let cool.

i roll out one can of crescents on a foil lined cookie sheet sprayed with pam. i pinch the seams together a little but i don't get all neurotic about it.


i have used several things here but for these pictures i had some philly cream cheese cooking creme. and yall, these are good. spread it on a car bumper and dive in. i promise it will be delicious! spread about 1/4 cup of it on the crescent dough leaving about a 1" border around the edge.


pour the taco meat over the cresent.
{this requires little culinary skill but good hand/eye coordination helps. or the dogs just get to have taco meat for dinner.}


top with shredded cheddar cheese and pull the sides of the crescent up and over the top of the meat.


you see here i could not get them to meet. let your neurotic side take a nap and just relax! fold and tuck the ends in.

bake at 350 for about 20 minutes, give or take. just until the outside gets browned and a little flaky. then eat it all before you get a chance to take a picture. {oops}

i serve it with baked beans and applesauce. this is not some groundbreaking discovery about what compliments what. its what i had and so we used it up. but it turned out pretty good nonetheless.


oh - and have your hubby do dishes. i mean, you slaved over this dish so you deserve a break right? ;)

4 comments:

  1. I'm definitely going to have to try this, it looks delicious! I think my son would love it. Thanks for sharing!
    Best,
    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  2. My best meals are the ones that are just thrown together! I'll have to try this one for my hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this tonight and let me just say YUMMMM! Loved it! =D

    ReplyDelete

© Skye McLain - Simple Life, Sound Finances, & Savvy Business • Theme by Maira G.