GET THE NEWSLETTER

HERO IMAGE

HERO IMAGE
If I had a dollar for every time I've updated this text in the last few years, we would have been able to pay off our debt a lot faster! So here is the lowdown: I just love to share parts of my life on the blog, especially experiences that might help others live a better life! Welcome to my little home on the internet!

Read more about me here!

Five Day Money Makeover Challenge

Are you ready to give your finances a total makeover? Download my Five Day Money Makeover Challenge!

Download your Challenge Here!

Homemade Open Faced Sloppy Joes

Necessity is the mother of invention.

One night, about two years ago, I was having a serious craving for Manwich. Yes, Manwich, that canned goo you mix in with hamburger meat to make sandwiches. Don't judge.

Lucky for me, we didn't have any. Thus, the creation of my homemade sloppy joes. This is the name I have given them. 

In real life, my idea of a sloppy joe is from Bodacious BBQ in East Texas and it is leftover brisket chopped up very fine and mixed in with their DELISH bbq sauce and then cooked in a slow cooker for a few hours. They serve it on a toasted bun smeared with butter and I put a slice of onion on it and die every time I take a bite.

There is a Bodacious across the street from where I went to night school. I was about 30% of their annual revenue that year. Seriously. Don't judge.

So, with the intention of being resourceful I used what I had.  I had no idea what I was actually doing. I just cooked the hamburger meat and added stuff and tasted and added stuff and tasted until it tasted... right... and voila. 

My husband said, "Honey, I would eat this once a week. This is seriously one of my new favorite meals."

ROCKSTAR

So I thought I would share this with you in the hopes that your husband would bestow you with such an amazing compliment... :D

Here is what you need:


Brown one pound of lean hamburger meat.


Add about a teaspoon of salt, a teaspoon of black pepper and a table spoon of dried italian seasoning. I don't really measure any of this. I just put it in there. Then I put in about 3/4 of a 14 oz. can of tomato sauce.


Then add about 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce, a big squeeze of mustard, a few shakes of Worcestershire sauce and some seasoning.
 

I used Glen's Cajun BBQ Sprinkles (which you can purchase here) or you can use one of your choice. 


Stir this all together and let it cook for a while over low heat. 


Finished product:


We serve ours over Jiffy cornbread with bread and butter jalapeno peppers 
(one of the congregants at the church makes those for us.. they are DELISH).  

Happy husband.


Happy dog.


(yes mom, I would love a bite of that yum-yummy whatever you're cooking... puh-puh-puh-please?)

linking to Quit Eating Out



4 comments:

  1. I left you an award on my blog!!

    http://lebedafamily.blogspot.com/2010/07/thank-you-for-awards.html

    Jennifer @ Life with the Lebedas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sloppy joe's and from the looks of it so does your pup :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so great to "meet" you here! I love your site and am so glad you linked to Saturday Swap!!! Thanks!!! I LOVE sloppy joe's as do my kiddos, so I will definitely try this recipe soon. I hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

© Skye McLain - Simple Life, Sound Finances, & Savvy Business • Theme by Maira G.