GET THE NEWSLETTER

HERO IMAGE

HERO IMAGE
If I had a dollar for every time I've updated this text in the last few years, we would have been able to pay off our debt a lot faster! So here is the lowdown: I just love to share parts of my life on the blog, especially experiences that might help others live a better life! Welcome to my little home on the internet!

Read more about me here!

Five Day Money Makeover Challenge

Are you ready to give your finances a total makeover? Download my Five Day Money Makeover Challenge!

Download your Challenge Here!

friday before & after: tv stand

hellooooo! it is friday and friends that makes me sooo happy!

this weekend i will be trekking back to my home town in texas to visit my dad. i am so excited - i haven't been home since christmas and can't wait to see him and a ton of my family and friends. it is going to be a fast paced weekend but it will definitely be worth it!

anyhoo - a few weeks ago the p.h. and i procured a new tv stand and tv for our living room. i have been dying to get rid of the monster tv that was in there. it was so huge i couldn't even fit in in the camera frame. it was threatening to eat my furniture and possibly my sanity. it was that bad.

the tv stand we got was beautiful - it has plenty of dvd storage and cubbies for electrical equipment as well as a storage compartment with two glass doors. but it was stained a dark mahogany color. it was like a black hole. it sucked the life out of the room.

so i painted it!


here it is the day we brought it home. p.h. was so awesome and took all the doors and hardware off so i could get straight to work. i did a little post here about the first few steps but i will recap here.




i had to set it up in the living room to do the overhaul - it was right before the snowpocalypse storm blew through and i did not want to be caught in 20 degree weather painting this thing outside. no. thanks.

i put it on these little blocks so the paint wouldn't make it stick to the tarp.
{don't be jealous of my supa-fly camo tarp}


i did not want to sand it. so i coated it with two coats of zinnser primer.


then i coated it with two coats of sifted flour in dutch boy flat.


rindercella rule of thumb: only paint what you can see. ;)


i knew i wanted to do something different to the doors. i did not want a big white blob in the living room anymore than i wanted a big dark brown one.

i had this sample of bedford gray by martha stewart from home depot.


so two coats of zinnser and two coats of bedford gray went on the doors.


and then we put it all back together.




and that is the start to all the work that is going into the living room. there is a lot to be done in there:

find less intrusive tv and a tv stand to go under it
paint the black shelves
add trim to make the shelves look more custom and less tar-jay
possibly connect them over the tv to look like an entertainment stand
paint walls (most likely bedford gray)
get rid of bachelor pad recliners and get a chair/ottoman
paint coffee table and side tables.
art and accessories.

unfortunately this room is not at the top of the list.. but one day i will get there! :) happy friday - hope you have a great weekend!!

linking up here:









 

7 comments:

  1. love the two tone paint!! This is really classy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh! i love this new life! i am a huge fan of redoing furniture. almost everything in our home came from the thrift store and i painted it. :) nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there! We are so glad that you came by and linked up to Inspiration Friday this week! You did a fantastic job with your TV cabinet and it looks completely new and refreshed. And I am totally jealous of your camo-tarp! :-) Hope we see more of you in the future!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a difference. It looks so new and fresh now. I love the colours you picked too. Great work!
    Thanks for hooking up at my Weekend Link Party! Have a great day.
    Humble Homemaking

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! Totally my style, in fact I'm on the hunt for a similar tv stand.

    Great redo, it's so fresh looking :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the two-tone paint job!! So pretty!! I just painted my tv stand too. I've been thinking about painting my coffee table and using two different paint colors. I love the ones that you chose!

    ReplyDelete

© Skye McLain - Simple Life, Sound Finances, & Savvy Business • Theme by Maira G.