GET THE NEWSLETTER

HERO IMAGE

HERO IMAGE
If I had a dollar for every time I've updated this text in the last few years, we would have been able to pay off our debt a lot faster! So here is the lowdown: I just love to share parts of my life on the blog, especially experiences that might help others live a better life! Welcome to my little home on the internet!

Read more about me here!

Five Day Money Makeover Challenge

Are you ready to give your finances a total makeover? Download my Five Day Money Makeover Challenge!

Download your Challenge Here!

who i am. really.

have you seen the button on my sidebar?


i am participating in an e-course created bty liv lane of choosing beauty called how to build a blog you truly love. true to its title, i am learning to take my little slice of the internet and turn it into something i love and that i am proud of and that i truly want to share.  don't get me wrong. i love my blog. i love writing on it. i love the people i have connected with.

i am just ready to take it to the next level. for a lot of reasons.
for a lot a lot a lot of reasons.

i don't know if you have noticed but there have been some design changes going on around here. there will be more, but more on that later. these have all stemmed from some of the articles i have read in the contents of the e-course.

the first thing i want to do is to introduce myself to you. i know... you have probably read the "about me" page and that is all good and dandy. but that just skims the surface and shows you the "me" i want you to see. i feel like if you read that, or have been reading my blog, and have stuck around this long that it is time for me to peel back these layers and show you who i really am and what i am really about.

before you run off, i'm definitely not some weirdo freak posing as the writer of a blog so i can find out who you people are and where you live.

well... unless you define "weirdo freak" as anything else i am about to say. because then. yes i am a weirdo.

sky

i am skye. my mother chose this name over stephanie because she said it reminded her of the way fresh-cut grass on a football field in september smelled. i say it was because she was a hippie and like the smell of another.. ahem.. grass.

i am a wife. i met my husband by chance at a housewarming party where a friend of a friend brought him. he told corny pick up line jokes, danced with me while i cried and still asked me for my phone number. i was pretty sure he was being polite and that i'd never hear from him again. to the contrary, he did call me. on our first date he took me out for mexican food (my favorite), explained that being in seminary did not mean he was a monk (which i really did not know) and then watched (and sang along with) phantom of the opera with me. i knew then i would spend the rest of my life with him. it took him a little more convincing... but i knew i would never let him go anywhere.

grass

i am a daughter. my parents are two people i am so so proud to call my parents. my mother, who passed away a little over year ago, was a woman with a big heart who knew what she wanted. she passed on many of her endearing (and not so endearing) traits to me... like my yearning to learn as much as possible and do as much as possible and be as many things as possible to as many people as possible. and my unequivocal ability to utter the word "shit" when something i don't like happens and sound just exactly like her.

my father has worked really hard his entire life in the oil field. i vividly remember the ride to daycare in the mornings in my father's work truck and the acrid smell of crude oil that was aptly described by him "as the smell of dinner on the table." i remember many nights where he never came home because of an oil spill in an obscure creek that had to be cleaned up. from my father i carry the traits of a good driver who thinks no one else can drive (yes, that woman honking her horn behind you in the fast lane of the interstate gesturing for you to get in the slow lane? that would be me) and my obsessive-complusive, perfectionist tendencies.

god

i am a disciple. and i struggle with it. i know that Jesus is the risen son of our Lord without a shadow of a doubt. I know where i will go when i my number is called. but within the confines if my daily life, i have a really hard time finding a spot to fit God into. and even saying it in that manner shows you where my priorities lie. i don't pray enough. i don't spend enough time in scripture. i don't have quiet reflection time with God. i don't know how to do that and be the person that i am. that He made me to be. and the worst part is that i don't yearn for it. giving in to God means letting go of all the control that i hold dear to my heart. and it scares me. i can put on a good show though. but inside i am a quivering little person afraid to reach out into the darkness to step through to the light on the other side.

i am a wandering flower longing for the place that allows me to grow strongly into some beautiful creation. some small part of me denies the cultural standard in america that proclaims that i should put down roots and stay there, seeking nourishment in the environment i chose. i would much rather spread my arms wide and let the wind carry my feet where it will and then... once i find the place that nourishes me the most... then i will plant my feet in the earth. there has been and will be places with dry soil but i am willing to endure the small periods of spiritual and psychological malnutrition in order to find that one place that feeds my soul, my mind, my creativity, my heart and my body.

flower

i have no idea what i want to be when i grow up. or rather... i have no idea which one i'd like to be when i finally make the decision to grow up. i want to be a corporate professional and click-clack across the smooth marble floors of a sky-scraper in bustling manhattan, carrying important papers to some important person on my way out the door to ride on public transportation to my high rise apartment 30 blocks away. i want to be a freelance artist and roam the countryside in europe, searching for inspiration and living like a nomad or a gypsy. i want to have two children and be a stay at home mom, making homemade sidewalk chalk for them to color with while the organic, nutrient-rich lunch is simmering on the stove. i want be a teacher and teach a room full of eighteen year olds the importance of balancing your checkbook and building credit properly. i want to blog for a living.  i want to go to seminary and get a master's in theological study. i want to be a graphic designer and an interior designer. i want to learn how to sew. i want to sell everything i own and move to st. lucia and braid hair on the beach.

beach

as you can see this poses a bit of a problem. i cannot narrow my passions down in life enough to make a decision about what i want to do. what if i decide "YES! THIS IS IT! I WANT TO BLAH BLAH BLAH" and i miss out on something so amazing and enriching that i would have benefited from elsewhere?

i hate my job. not in that "total dread of coming in the work sort of day". i despise that i feel as though i have settled with it. by no stretch of the imagination does it allow me to be creative, give me problems to solve, create a teamwork environment or have any chance of moving up or advancing in any way. these are things that i crave out of life - things i know about myself - and i have taken this position and worked here for a year and haven't grown, learned or changed in any way at all. except that i feel like i have just let myself completely down.

friends

i love to encourage and meet new people. two very good friends i have made so far in this little adventure are katie and cassie. if you had asked me a year ago if i would be handing out my phone number to people i met blogging i would have eyeballed you like you were growing green tusks out of your ears. but today, because of these two phenom women, i have learned a little more about myself and let my vulnerability show a little more.

i love babies as long as i can hand them back to their mother when they poop in their diaper. not a lot of elaboration needed there folks. :)

hello? are you still there? oh good. whew. this "not a lot of pictures" blogging gets boring pretty quick so thanks for hanging in there with me. but every once in a while i need to do a little soul searching. and part of that soul searching will lead to new directions for this here little blog and what i decide to do with it.

so anyways, all of that was to say this. i fully plan to integrate this blog with all the things that are happening in my life and all the decisions that come with it. which means that things are going to change around here. don't worry! i will still be ME most of all but the purpose behind the blog is going to be evolving and once i finally figure out what that is and how i want things to be, things might look a little different around here. but i promise to keep you all informed. you are part of the reason i blog! :)

serendipity

thanks for all of you who read, comment, don't comment, laugh a little, smirk at my corny jokes, or call a coworker over to read what i wrote. somewhere inside i feel like i know each of you and that there is some reason you have found me or i found you... i pray that connection leads us both somewhere positive!

19 comments:

  1. thanks for being so open and honest. i have felt like you a lot in my life, not knowing what on earth i want to do. i have lots of passions too, but it seems one is generally stronger than the others. so i pray and ask God to make His plan for me my strongest desire, whatever it might be. whether it's working in corporate america, living on a remote island with nobody to bother me, or being a stay at home mom. it's scary to take that step and just let God direct you.
    you're right, it feels like you have no control. and i know people say this all the time but it's so true, God having control of our lives is at least 7 billion times better than us having the control. i mean, the Bible is packed with people who went their own way only to feel like they met with disaster. then they follow God and the pieces of their lives are picked up and put back together by a merciful and loving God. i know you know this, but you need to really know it in your life through experience before you can believe it. God is always good and will never leave you or lead you somewhere that isn't good for you. He always does the best thing for you. i mean, He knows us better than we know ourselves!
    i pray that you'll be able to navigate that part of your life and figure out how God fits, or rather how you fit in His plan.

    love your blog girl. and i love the new look. i'm excited to see where you're going with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I know you a little bit more now Skye. :) I love finding out how many things we have in common. That is a brave thing to do, (Being open and honest) and I love it! You are an amazing woman! I am so glad to be apart of your life, to have helped you learn about yourself. I can't wait to see what you have in store for your life and your blog. *a million hugs your way*

    ReplyDelete
  3. From the moment I met you, you have been a blessing to me in my life. Your honesty is unfailing and your friendship is unwaivering. I really, really miss you right now because I haven't seen you in months! But hopefully that will change when we drive up to pick up your pransome hince in a few weeks! Love you, Skye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! I found myself going "me too, ME TOO!" over and over. I love the posts where we get to see more of you. Thanks for being so honest. I can't wait to see more of what's to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Love this post!!! I'm definitely a new follower and looking forward to reading more about your "Fest" :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your honesty! This is a great post and resembles a lot of my thoughts, as well. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. such a beautiful post, I am in LIv's class too and participating today too! We are kindred spirits.. I'd love to get to know you more.... solid relationships can be born. xo I love your style of writing! hugs. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful post! My mind is often all over the place too - I'm full of fantastic ideas about what I want to do with myself and my life, and many times none of those ideas fit together at all! I feel the tug of war over having control and giving it to God. I'm always happier when I hand it over, but for some reason I forget that lesson quite a bit.

    Thanks so much for sharing - I'm looking forward to reading more from you.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely post! I have felt and feel many of those things! One of the best gifts we can give ourselves when we are uphappy with something is a reinvention. Good for you!
    xo, Anita

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marvelous post, Skye (and by the way, I adore your name!). It's a beautiful avalanche of real feelings, reflections and worries - just like all of us have. Loved it. Have you ever read "The Power of Intention" by Wayne Dyer? It's one of my favorite books EVAH and I kept thinking of it as I read your post. It's really good soul food. :) Thanks so much for putting yourself out there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Skye, this is a beautiful post, and I'm guessing that getting it all out of you was very liberating. I particularly loved this part - "and the worst part is that i don't yearn for it." I think that's okay, Skye. Be who you are - don't force yourself if you're not feeling it. Who you are, right now, is just right. And when it's not "just right" anymore, you will make the changes you need to make to be who you want to be. I can feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Skye, this was a wonderful post. Thank you for being so open and honest. This post is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  13. celebrating the breathtaking beauty
    of who you really are.
    quite a gem, you:)
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing! You are such an elegant and thoughtful writer. And I can relate to so many things that you said!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i loved reading this post so. much. i love you even more after reading this post. you are so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing so much about yourself. I agree with Jennifer - you are a wonderful writer:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Skye (love your name!), I'm taking Liv's course, too. Your writing style is very inspirational. I resonate with a lot of what you said, especially having many passions and dreams.... I'm so glad I found your blog. ~Donna :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your voice when you say things like "I say it was because she was a hippie and like the smell of another.. ahem.. grass."

    I also really appreciate your wandering spirit. So many possibilities, I can never decide either.

    Thank you for sharing. ~Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  19. I liked getting to know you. You write very readable material, yo. Thanks for the honesty and openness.

    ReplyDelete

© Skye McLain - Simple Life, Sound Finances, & Savvy Business • Theme by Maira G.